Gola Urundai Kuzhambu (Spicy Meat Ball Curry Southindian Style)
The preparation process is done in stages and is time consuming would suggest to do certain things ahead of time as we get into the recipe i will suggest few details to prepare ahead of time...
Video Recipe do watch and subscribe...☺
15 to 20 Fresh Green or Red Chilies
1 Whole Garlic Pods
3 inch Pieces Ginger
1 Tbsp Fennel seeds
2 Inch Sticks Cinnamon
4 to 5 Cloves
4 to 5 Pods Cardamom
1 Tbsp Pepper corns
Do not be alarmed at the hot and spice content in the recipe its very normal for southindians we prepare this masala paste in bulk for this recipe more than half of it will be used.
- In a mixer grinder add all the above ingredients and grind to a smooth paste very little water can be added to grind into a smooth paste.
For Coconut Paste:
1/2 Cup Fresh Coconut
Fist Full of Coriander
- Add the coconut and coriander to the same blender and blend well till smooth paste water can be added to prepare a smooth paste.
Please prepare this masala paste a head of time place in a airtight container in the fridge till use.
For Meat Marination:
1 1/2 Kilo Sheep or Goat Meat Mince
1 Tbsp Coriander Powder
1/2 Tbsp Turmeric Powder
3 Tbsp Masala Paste
2 Medium Sized Onion(Finely Chopped)
Fist Full of Mint and Coriander(Finely Chopped)
1 Tbsp Salt
- Add all the above mentioned ingredients to the meat mix and knead till well combined place in a bowl and allow to marinate at least overnight.
I Highly recommend to prepare the meat marination a head of time. if the meat is not minced fine i would suggest to add it to a coffee grinder and pulse it twice and then start the marination process.
Mutton Bone Stock:
1 Tsp Masala Paste
1/4 Tsp Turmeric
- When we buy meat mince the butcher will always add few marrow bones these have to be cooked ahead of time which can be used for gravy.
- In a pressure cooker add the bones masala paste turmeric and salt with 2 cups water and cook for 3 to 4 whistles till well done reserve.
This process can also be done a head of time and refrigerated till use.
Lets Prepare Meat Balls:
- Mix and knead the marinated meat i would suggest you work will cold meat since its refrigerated it will be firm and hold shape.
- Oil your hands take a golf size ball portion of meat and start preparing firm meat balls and reserve in a plate.
- Heat 3 Tbsp oil in a wok on medium flame and start to arrange the meat balls in a circle inside the wok place on low flame and cover.
- The meat will cook in its own juices once the moisture evaporates stir gently and cook till moisture has completely gone reserve in a bowl and follow the same step and continue the process of cooking the meat balls.
Lets Prepare Gravy:
1 Large Onion(Roughly Chopped)
1 Tomato (Toughly Chopped) tomato is optional if you want it can be added
3 to 4 Tbsp Masala Paste
Prepared Coconut Paste
1/2 Tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 Tsp Coriander Powder
Mint and Coriander
2 Inch Stick Cinnamon
3 Pods Cardamom
3 Tbsp Ghee
3 Tbsp Oil
Salt as per taste
- In a heavy bottom handi or wok add the ghee and oil temper the oil with whole spices cinnamon cardamom and cloves.
- Once the spices splutter a bit add the masala paste and fry a bit till raw flavor has gone.
- Add onion and fry till transparent.
- Add the masala powders turmeric and coriander and fry till raw flavor has gone.
- Add the meat stock and water stir and add salt and bring to a boil add coconut paste and bring to a boil till the raw flavor from coconut has evaporated.
- Add the meat balls and bring to a boil add lime juice and garnish with mint and coriander...
Serve hot with hot rice raita and rasam...Enjoy...:)
To Prepare Dry Meat Balls:
- While cooking the meat balls in the wok allow to dry out a bit if oil is needed add a sp full of oil and stir and fry in the same wok till it turns brown in color sprinkle on some pepper powder and coriander and serve hot...Enjoy...:)