Bonda Soup is a southindian comfort food its normally served with crispy fried vadas.
Recipe Video Demo...
2 Large Onions(Roughly Chopped)
4 Green Chillies (Slit)
3 Tomatoes (Chopped or Blanched)
3 to 4 Pieces Fresh Coconut
3 Sprigs Curry Leaves
1/2 Tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
2 Tbsp Coriander Powder
1 Tbsp Chilly Powder
1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
1/2 Tbsp Rasam Powder Please click here for Rasam powder recipe
1 Tbsp Sambar Powder Please click here for sambar powder recipe
1/4 Tsp Asafoetida
1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds
1/2 Tsp Split Black Gram
4 to 5 Fenugreek Seeds
1/2 Cup Split Pigeon Peas/Toovar Dal(Cooked)
Salt as per taste
2 Tbsp Ghee
2 Tbsp Oil
Lime Juice and Coriander for garnish.
- Heat a heavy bottom pot with oil on medium flame.
- Temper the oil with mustard fenugreek and urad dal allow the mustard to splutter a bit then add asafoetida curry leaves and chilly fry a bit add onion and fry a bit.
- In a mixer jar add coconut, ginger garlic paste, 1 sprig curry leaves, chilly powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder grind to a smooth paste.
- Add the masala paste to the onion with a splash of water and salt as per taste allow to cook for a while till the raw flavor has gone
- Add tomato and fry a bit add water bring to a rapid boil allow to boil for 5 minutes.
- Add cooked dal to the boiling tomato masala stir and check for salt add if needed add the sambar and rasam powder stir and bring to a boil.
- Garnish with coriander lime juice and ghee serve hot for medu vada or mysore bonda...Enjoy..:)
- Always cook tomato along with dal in a pressure cooker we can save a lot of cooking time.
- Make sure to always cook extra dal and tomato preserve some in air tight container and refrigerate to prepare other recipes.