Kothamalli Mutton Sukka/Thanjavur Mutton Varuval
Years back when we had been to tanjore in tamilnadu good friends of my dads had invited us for lunch we simply enjoyed the mutton fry they served us I've given few tweaks to the recipe and it tasted so yumm along with rice and rasam.all in all its comforting winter recipe...
1 Kilo Mutton( I did ask my butcher to add some chops and few spares like liver and kidneys it added to the taste)
1 Medium Onion
2 Tbsp Ginger and Garlic Paste
2 to 3 Pieces Fresh Coconut
7 Green Chillies
Fist Full Coriander
1 Tbsp Chilly Powder
1 Tbsp Mutton Masala or Garam Masala
1/2 Tsp Coriander Powder
1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
1/2 Tsp Pepper Corns +Pepper Powder
1/2 Tsp Cumin
1 Stock Cube Optional
2 Tbsp Oil and Ghee
Salt as per taste
Lime juice for garnish
- In a pressure cooker add a tbsp oil place it on medium flame add washed and drained meat to the cooker along with chilly powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala, chicken stock cube and ginger garlic paste fry a bit till moisture releases from the meat.
- Add luke warm water to the meat give it a good stir and cover place whistle and cook until 4 whistles.
- Make sure the meat has cooked if there is moisture in meat reduce the moisture on low flame.
- In a mixer jar add coriander coconut onion pepper corns cumin green chilly add water and grind to a smooth paste.
- Heat a wok with oil and ghee temper the oil with 2 sprigs curry leaves add the prepared masala paste fry a bit once the oil separates from masala add cooked meat and salt fry till the masala combines well sprinkle on some pepper powder and fry till desired consistency garnish with finely chopped coriander lime juice serve hot with hot rice and rasam...enjoy...:)