Mountain Spinach Curry/Keerai Kuzhambu/Palak Dal
Spinach Curry is a classic recipe in India we prepare this curry in many different ways this recipe is just a basic version,,,
Just pluck the tender spinach from the steams and place it in a polythene bag and refrigerate before preparing recipe make sure to wash at least thrice till the water runs clear.
1 Bundle Mountain Spinach
Fist Full Coriander Leaves
2 Cups Cooked Pigeon Peas
2 Medium Tomatoes
1 Large Onion
6 to 8 Pods Garlic
7 Green Chilly
1 Tbsp Tamarind pulp or 1/3 Cup Tamarind water
1 Tbsp Chilly Powder
1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
1 Tbsp Coriander Powder
1/4 Tsp Mustard seeds
1/4 Tsp Cumin seeds
1/4 Tsp Split Black Gram
3 Dried Red Chilies
Salt as per taste
- Wash the spinach thoroughly drain the excess water finely chop the spinach.
- Chop the garlic, chilly,onion and tomato
- Wash and finely chop coriander leaves
- Take a lime size tamarind add hot water and extract tamarind pulp/water.
- Add the chopped tomato,chilly,garlic,chilly powder, turmeric powder,coriander and onion to a pot which fits inside the pressure cooker steam cook till 3 whistles.
- Transfer the cooked tomato a heavy bottom pot add the chopped spinach and coriander cover and cook the spinach a bit.
- Once the spinach has cooked add cooked dal tamarind water and salt as per taste add a splash of water if needed bring to a boil.
- Using a masher mash the spinach this way the taste will enhance.
- Place a fry pan with 2 tbsp oil add mustard seeds once it splutters add cumin seeds black gram red chilly and asafoetida fry a bit and temper the curry.
- Serve this curry with hot rice or ragi muddle potato fry and chips this is typical southindian lunch do try the recipe and post your comments...Enjoy...:)