Mixed Vegetable CousCous Upma
I'm revamping an old school recipe(upma) with Mediterranean flavours. The couscous was fluffy packed with cumin flavour and veggies an amazing and wholesome meal on a budget can be served any part of the day. Couscous is good for diabetic patients and weight watchers...
200 Grams Couscous
1 Cup Steamed Veggies (Broccoli, Carrots, Beans, Peas and Potato)
1/2 Cup Capsicum
4 to 5 Green Chillies Chopped
2 Onion Roughly Chopped
2 Sprigs Curry Leaves
1 Tsp Mustard
1/2 Tsp Cumin
1/2 Tsp Black Gram
1/4 Tsp Asafoetida
Salt as per taste
3 Tbsp Oil
1 Tsp Lime Juice and Coriander for Garnish...
I always stem cook veggies in Microwave it saves time and gas add chopped veggies to a micro-safe bowl with 3 tbsp of water and place it to cook for 3 minutes once done check if the veggies are done if not cook it further for a minute or until done it should not take more than 4 minutes to cook once the veggies are steam cooked it can be cooled and stored in the fridge in a airtight container for use... the best part cooking veggies in a microwave it retains colour and texture its not over cooked and veggies dont fall apart. I prepare many recipes using steam cooked veggies from upma to pavbhaji its all done in a jiffy...
- Follow the Package directions to prepare the couscous in a mixing bowl add the couscous and hot water stir and cover the couscous should soak up all the moisture and will be ready for use.
- Heat a wok with oil on medium flame add mustard and allow to splutter once mustard splutters add cumin and black gram fry and bit add asafoetida and fry.
- Add onion and curry leaves fry till transparent add capsicum and chillies fry a bit.
- Add veggies and fry add salt as required and cook the veggies for a minute
- Once the couscous is done fluff up a bit using a fork.
- Add the couscous to the veggies and mix till well combined add lime juice and copped coriander mix well and serve hot...Enjoy...:)