This palaksoup is my favorite and a very traditional north arcot family recipe. we generally prepare this recipe during winter its not heavy totally filling. Very few ingredients are used to create this soup the flavors and taste is from the tempering (Tadka) it might sound unusal to add tadka to a soup trust me its one of the best flavors you've ever tasted. Generally in tamilnadu people who prepare this recipe refer this as paal keerai masiyal. Its an excellent recipe to be served at a traditional sit down southindian lunch.
1 Bunch Palak(Spinach/Pasalai Keerai)
6 Cloves Garlic
1 Cup Milk
1/4 Tsp Mustard Seeds, 1/4 Tsp Split Blackgram, 1 Sprig Curry Leaves, 3 Dried Red Chillies, 1/4 Tsp Asafoetida
Salt as required
2 Tbsp Ghee or Oil
- Clean and wash the palak throughly strain all the excess water pat dry and chop...reserve...
- You can either mince or crush the garlic. I finely minced the garlic for easy cooking.
- In a pot add 1/2 the amount of milk, garlic and spinach place the pot on low flame allow the palak to wilt.
- Once the palak wilts keep stirring making sure it does'nt stick to the bottom of the pot make sure the palak and garlic is mushy.
- Remove from flame allow to cool add to a mixerjar and grind well transfer the ground mixture back in the same pot place it on low flame bring to a boil add salt and stir.
- Once the soup starts to boil and the salt is adjusted remove from flame at this point soup is done.
- Heat oil in a fry pan on low flame. Add mustard allow to splutter add the split blackgram and fry a bit add asafoetida fry a bit switch of the flame and add the chillies and curry leaves fry a bit.
- Now add the tempering to the soup stir and serve hot...Enjoy..:)
I love posting reviews on Zomato if you want to read restaurant reviews please visit me there...