Mathi/sardines is dads favorite he loves the deep fried fish as a starter. Its not spicy as it seems its crunchy and very tasty, the curry leaves and garlic in this dish enhances the flavor and taste. This is a good side dish for biryani or rice sambar.
1 Kilo Mathi/Sardines
4 Tbsp Chilly Powder
1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
1 Whole Bulb Garlic (peeled)
2 Sprigs Curry Leaves
1 Tsp Pepper corns
1 Tsp Cumin
1/4 Tsp Asafoetida
5 Tbsp Vinegar
1/2 Cup Rice Flour
Salt as per taste
Oil for Frying
I will recommend you to get the fish cleaned from the fishmonger itself its easy to wash and clean at home later. If you do not have vinegar at home substitute with lime juice or tamarind pulp.
- Wash the fish thoroughly. Place the washed fish in a colander and allow the moisture to drain.
- In a mixerjar add the curry leaves, garlic, cumin and peppercorns pulse twice and then grind with a splash of water till a smooth paste.
- In a mixing bowl add chilly powder, turmeric powder, asafoetida, masala paste, Salt and vinegar mix well reserve for 2 minutes.
- Take generous portion of this masala paste and apply on the fish place the marinated fish in the colander place the colander in a bowl if the fish is releasing any moisture the bowl will contain it and its easy to discard the collected moisture. the fish will fry to a crispy consistency.
- Cover a cling film on the marinated fish and place in fridge for 2 hours.
- Add salt to the rice flour mix well and spread on to a paper plate dip the marinated fish in rice flour.
- Heat enough oil for frying shake of excess rice flour on the fish gently place the fish in oil and fry on medium flame turn the fish in 2 minute mark and fry once the spluttering stops the fish is done frying drain the excess oil and serve hot with lime wedges and sprinkle on some pepper powder...Enjoy...:)