Ambur-Style Pachai Payair Kootu/SouthIndian Sprouted Mung Bean Curry
A Classic recipe which is prepared through out tamilnadu during summers. Tastes excellent when served with steam cooked rice or roti.
250 Grams Green Gram Sprouts
2 Onions (finely chopped)
2 Large Ripe Tomatoes chopped
2 Sprigs Curry Leaves
2 Chilies Slit
3 Tbsp Coconut Grated
Fist Full Coriander chopped
1/2 Tsp Black Gram
1/4 Tsp Mustard Seeds
1/4 Tsp Cumin Seeds
1 Dry Red Chilly
1/2 Tsp Chilly Powder
1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
1 Tbsp Coriander Powder
1/4 Tsp Asafoetida
3 Tbsp Oil
Salt as per taste..
If you want more gravy add an extra tomato make sure the tomatoes are ripe...
- I've used store bought sprouts for this recipe. If your buying store bought sprouts make sure to sort the sprouts and then prepare the curry.
- Wash the sprouts thoroughly twice add to a pressure cooker with one cup water place a lid once the steam builds place a whistle and cook for 3 whistles or until done.
- Heat a pan/wok on medium flame add oil start to temper the oil with mustard seeds once the mustard seeds splutters and stops add the black gram fry a bit add cumin and asafoetida sll the cumin to splutter add red chilly and fry.
- Add the onion, slit green chilly and curry leaves fry the onion till pink and transparent.
- Add the tomatoes, red chilly powder, turmeric and coriander fry till raw flavor is gone.
- Add 1/2 Cup water and stir cook the tomato until oil surfaces. Add salt as per taste, cooked green gram and stir.
- Add 1/2 cup water and stir the green gram cook on high flame for 10 minutes until the gram is thoroughly combined with the masala.
- Place the flame on medium add the coconut and coriander cook for 2 more minutes and serve hot with rice topped with ghee....Enjoy...:)