Onion Pakora/ Vengaya Pakoda/ Garam Pakoda Recipe
Onion pakoda or garam pakoda are crispy fritters prepared using gram-flour and spices. These onion fritters store upto 3 days in a air tight container. We serve these pakodas as a tea time snack or as a side dish for southindian meals.
2 Sprigs Curry leaves
10 Cloves Garlic
2 Tbsp Chilly Powder
1/4 Tsp Asafoetida
1/4 Tsp Cooking Soda
6 Green Chilies
1/2 Tsp Fennel Seeds
1 Inch Cinnamon Stick
1 Inch Ginger
Fist Full Mint and Coriander
1 Cup Roasted Bengal Gram Flour (Pottukadalai Mavu)
1 Cup Chickpea Flour (Besan/Kadalai mavu)
2 1/2 Tbsp Rice Flour
Salt as per taste
Oil for frying
- Peel, Wash and Slice the onions. Separate the onion strands and reserve in a large mixing bowl.
- Add 6 Green Chilies, 1/2 Tsp Fennel Seeds, 1 Inch Cinnamon, 4 Cloves, 1 Inch Ginger, Fist Full Mint and Coriander to a mixerjar grind to form a coarse paste.
- Peel, Wash and Chop the garlic into thin slices or tiny pieces.
- Split the cashews and reserve.
- Heat oil for frying in a wok on low flame.
- Sift all the 3 flours and reserve.
- Combine curry leaves, sliced onion, ground chilly masala, chilly powder, asafoetida, cashews and chopped garlic mix well and reserve.
- Take 1/3 Portion of the onion mixture add to a mixing bowl, add 1/3 Cup of both besan and roasted gram flour, 1 tbsp rice flour, a pinch of cooking soda, 2 tbsp hot oil and salt as per taste to the onion mix well.
- Sprinkle 2 to 3 tbsp water mix well and form a tight dough.
- Make sure the oil is hot and ready for frying.
- Take a large portion of the dough pinch and drop portions of this dough to the hot oil.
- Fry on low flame.
- Gently turn and fry the pakodas till the pakodas turn golden brown in color.
- Drain the pakodas and place on tissue paper...Serve right away...Enjoy :)
Do not mix salt to the entire batch of onion batter it will turn watery and the onion wont be crispy.
Before slicing a batch of onion always place onions in the fridge until use this is best way to prevent onions from stinging your eyes.
Wash hands with lemon base dish wash soap to eliminate onion and garlic smell from hands.