Tamarind Chicken Recipe (Bullet Chicken)
Tamarind chicken is an excellent side dish for southindian meals. I tasted this dish at a roadside shack the lady who prepares this dish had named it as bullet chicken because of the spicy guntur chilies. I personally enjoyed this fried chicken with sambar and rasam rice.
500 Grams Boneless Chicken
1 Tbsp Garam Masala
2 Tbsp Chilly Powder
1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
2 Tbsp Tamarind Pulp
1 Tbsp Ginger and Garlic Paste
2 Tbsp Corn Flour
2 Tbsp Maida(all purpose flour)
1 Beaten Egg
10 to 15 Pods of Garlic Chopped
2 Sprigs Curry Leaves
6 Dried Red Chilies
1/2 Tsp Pepper powder
1/4 Tsp Cumin or Carom Seed Powder
Oil For Frying
1 Tbsp Ghee
Salt as per taste.
* Wash the chicken thoroughly allow excess water to drain using a colander and add the chicken pieces to a mixing bowl.
* Add lime juice, tamarind pulp, ginger and garlic paste, chilly powder, turmeric and garam masala to the chicken mix well cover and allow to marinate for 15 minutes on kitchen counter.
* After 15 minutes add corn flour, maida, and egg to the chicken mix well check for salt add salt as per taste.
* Heat enough oil for frying in a wok on medium flame.
* Gently drop the chicken pieces in oil and allow to fry for 2 minutes on each side once the outer covering turns light golden in color drain from oil an reserve the chicken on a tissue paper. Fry the entire batch of chicken and reserve.
* Heat 1 Tbsp of ghee in a wok add curry leaves, chopped garlic, dried red chilies, pepper powder and carom powder to the garlic fry until the raw flavor from the garlic has gone.
* Add the chicken pieces to the garlic masala toss to coat check for salt add if needed...toss and serve hot...Enjoy..:)