My chicken curry roast can be served as a side dish for southindian meals or biryani. Sakthi masala curry powder is a very recent find at my local supermarket. This curry powder is perfect for chicken roast, egg roast or fish fry.
We never purchase ready to use masala on very rare occasions I will purchase a tandoori chicken masala or kitchen king masala I was surprised with the quality of this curry powder its flavor and taste was potent.
1 1/2 Kilo Curry Cut Chicken (Without skin)
1 Large Onion
1 1/2 + 1 Tbsp Ginger and garlic paste
(Please click here for basics of indian cooking ginger garlic paste recipe)
1 1/2 + 1 Tbsp Chilly Powder
1 + 1 Tbsp Coriander Powder
1/2 + 1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
1 Tbsp Tamarind Water
1 + 1 1/2 Tbsp Sakthi Masala Curry Powder
4 Dried Red Chilies
3 Green Chilies
4 Sprigs Curry Leaves
1 Tbsp Fennel Seeds
1 Tbsp Pepper powder
3 Tbsp Coconut, Sunflower or Sesame Oil
Salt as per taste
1/2 Lime Juice
Ginger and Garlic Paste Recipe VideoMethod:
1. Wash the chicken twice drain excess water using a colander.
2. Peel, wash and finely chop onion.
3. Wash and slit the green chilly in half. Break the dried red chilly into half and reserve.
4. Using a heavy bottom pot or wok place it on medium flame add the chicken start adding the ingredients for the chicken one by one, 1 1/2 tbsp ginger and garlic paste, 1 tbsp chilly powder, 1 tbsp coriander powder, 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder, 1 1/2 tbsp curry powder and salt as per taste along with 1 1/2 cups water cover and cook the chicken on medium flame.
5. Occasionally stir the chicken and cook until excess moisture evaporates and the chicken has cooked till fork tender.
6. Remove the chicken form flame once cooked.
7. Heat a pan or wok on medium flame add 3 tbsp preferred oil. I will normally use coconut or sesame oil however for this recipe I used sunflower oil.
8. Add fennel seeds to the oil allow to splutter.
9. Add onion, dried red chilies, slit green chilies, curry leaves and onion to the oil fry for a minute.
10. Add 1 tbsp ginger and garlic paste to the onion and fry until the raw flavor reduces.
11. Once the oil surfaces on the onion add 1 tbsp chilly powder, 1 tbsp coriander powder, 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder, 1 tbsp curry powder fry all the ingredients until raw flavor reduces and oil surfaces.
12. Add the cooked chicken to the onion masala toss to coat, fry for a minute.
13. Add 1/2 cup water and 1 tbsp tamarind water to the chicken, check for salt add if needed.
14. Place the chicken on medium high flame keep stirring until the masala coats the chicken.
15. Depending on preference we can serve a semi gravy chicken or completely roasted chicken.
16. Fry the chicken until excess moisture evaporates add pepper powder and lime juice fry for a minute and serve hot...Enjoy :)
My plate with steam cooked rice, chicken curry roast, rasam, drumstick and potato sambar...
Mango Sambar Recipe Video