Many people hate preparing this vegetable because its slimy...In south we consume this vegetable in kilos in a week atleast 2 days we prepare okra This vegetable is good for memory and always recommended for growing kids.
1/2 Cup Cooked Pigeon Peas
250 Grams Okra
1 Large Onion(roughly chopped)
1 Tomato (cooked along with dhal)
2 Tsp Tamarind pulp
2 Sprigs Curry leaves
1 1/2 Tbsp Chilly Powder
1 Tbsp Coriander Powder
1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
2 Tbsp Sambar Powder
1/4 Tsp Hing/Asafoetida
1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds
1 Tsp Jeera/Cumin
1/2 Tsp Split Black Gram Dal
4 Tbsp Oil
Salt as per taste
Coriander for garnish
- Wash the okra using a colander drain the excess water. place it on a kitchen towel pat dry.
- Chop the okra into 1 inch pieces please check it there is any bugs inside use a dry chopping board and knife.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pot or handi place it on medium flame temper oil with mustard seeds cumin and black gram once mustard splutters add asafoetida curry leaves and onion till onion turns transparent.
- Add salt chilly powder turmeric powder and coriander powder fry till raw flavor has gone add okra and fry do not add water make sure the okra is fried throughly its should be half cooked and slimy texture should have reduced then add smashed tomato and water cover and bring to a boil.
- Once the okra has cooked add cooked dhal and boil.
- Add add tamarind and sambar powder stir well bring to a rapid boil add coriander serve hot...Enjoy...:)