This recipe was passed down to me by my aunt and its been in her family for ages there are few tweaks that I've done as per my taste. however the original recipe does not contain allspice(kabab cheni) and kasoori methi just by adding these 2 ingredients tasted like a dish served at a famous restaurant...this semi gravy tastes yum when served with parrota, ghee rice, pav buns or just with hot rasam rice.
1 Kilo Chicken
2 Large Tomatoes (crushed in a blender or finely chopped)
1 Cup Yoghurt
1 Tbsp Ginger and Garlic Paste
4 Tbsp Chilly Powder (adjust as per your taste)
2 Tbsp Coriander Powder
1/4 + 1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
1/4 Tsp Cumin Seeds
1/4 Tsp Fennel Seeds
4 Pods Cardamom
1 Inch Stick Cinnamon
1 Pinch Marati moggu
Few Strands Mace
1 Tbsp Black Pepper Corns or Powder
1 Pinch All Spice Powder
2 Tbsp Ghee
2 Tbsp Oil
Salt as per taste
Finely Chopped Mint Coriander and Lime juice for garnish...
- Wash and pat the chicken dry gash the chicken add yoghurt and turmeric powder mix well...cover and allow to marinate over night in the fridge.
- Heat 1 tsp of ghee in a wok on a medium flame.
- Add the whole spices and 2 tbsp of onion and fry till light golden brown in colour remove from flame allow to cool...
- Add the fried onion mixture to a mixerjar and grind into a smooth paste add water if needed.
- Before preparing this recipe get the chicken to room temperature and proceed.
- Heat a wok on medium flame with oil and ghee add chopped onion, ginger garlic paste and fry till onions turn transparent add a splash of water and fry the onion on slow flame till oil separates.
- Now add the tomato and fry on low flame till oil seprates.
- Add chilly powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder keep stirring and frying till raw flavour has gone.
- Add the prepared masala paste to the onion tomato mixture and fry now add the chicken fry a bit.
- Add salt as per taste enough water to cook the chicken place the flame on medium heat cover and cook the chicken till well done. uncover and place the flame on high for 10 minutes and allow the moisture to reduce to desired gravy consistency garnish with chopped mint and coriander add lime juice and serve hot as a side dish along with your main course...Enjoy...:)