DIY Tomato Ketchup
As you all know that my previous post was tomato puree...coming series i will try to show different variations using tomato puree...east or west any where in the world people just love tomato ketchup its so simple and easy to prepare at home...try to buy roma or bangalore tomato for this recipe and make sure you dont use tomatoes with black spots or little bit of green or yellow it should be ripe and firm...this ketchup can be stored for a year in the fridge.
2 1/2 Kilos Tomatoes
100 Grams Sugar
100 Grams Onion
25 Grams Garlic
1 1/2 Tbsp Chilly Powder
1 Tbsp Garam Masala
1 Bay Leaf
1 Tsp Sodium Benzoate
5 Grams Salt
50 ML Vinegar
100 ML Water
- Wash the tomatoes in 2 tbsp vinegar water wash at least thrice.
- Use ripe and firm tomato dont use tomato with spots or green color ketchup will spoil fast.
- Use a heavy bottom pot preferably nonstick pot for this recipe.
- Chop the tomatoes into small pieces.
- Add garlic and onion to the chopped tomato.
- Mix all the ingredients well add water and place a cover and allow the tomato garlic and onion to cook till well done.
- Allow the tomato to cook till mush.
- Add to a blender and prepare smooth puree.
- Using a sevie strain the tomato puree remove all the seeds skin bits of garlic and onion.
- Add the tomato puree back in the heavy bottom pan and place on low flame.
- Add the sugar, chilly powder, bayleaf , garam masala and salt to the puree mix well and allow to boil on a low flame.
- Place a cover if the sauce splutters.
- constantly keep stirring.
- After 15 minutes of constant stirring the sauce should have reduced to 1/3 consistency.
- Keep stirring until the sauce coats the spoon as shown in the picture.
- Remove the bayleaf.
- Allow the sauce to cool before adding vinegar.
- Add vinegar to the sauce and mix well.
- Allow to rest for another 10 minutes.
- Add the sodium benzoate and mix well.
- I reused the ketchup bottles.
- Its simple to recycle and help our mother earth if you buy ketchup and chilly sauce bottles once they are empty wash with soap water and then wash the bottles with hot water and sun dry its perfect to store oil or any sauce...:)
- Fill the bottles with ketchup and i must say this looks professional...what do say...:)
- Store in fridge can be used even after 1year...dont wait so long serve with any snacks or burger and Enjoy...:)
I enjoy my ketchup with just potato chips some time i have a weird taste i will have ketchup with idly and dosa...I've simplified the process of ketchup making some people may not agree with my recipe but this works perfect for me and best part about this recipe is you can make more and get fancy glass jars tie a ribbon and gift to a friend or your fav teacher on teacher's day...:)
Please note do not use the ketchup for 2 days after mixing benzoate allow the ketchup to rest after 2 days you can use for any dish...dont store ketchup in steel or any other metal container it may cause chemical reaction and you may fall sick...always use glass and plastic container to store any product when your using sodium benzoate or vinegar.
Watch my demo video and try this recipe...:)