I received so many mails requesting me to prepare cabbage kootu past couple months i have received about 20 different mails right from europe to dubai finally posting moms version of cabbage kootu and also dedicating this recipe to babu from europe sheikh from cannada leela & kumar from south africa shakthi velu from dubai surabhi gupta from usa and imran, joshi, krithika & abhi from India thank you for following my videos and blogs regularly wishing you all the best of luck...♥♥♥
250 Grams Cabbage/kosu (finely chopped)
1 Large Onion (finely chopped)
3-4 Green Chilies
2 Sprigs Curry Leafs (finely chopped)
1 Coffee Cup Channa Dhal/Split Chickpea
1 1/2 Tbsp Coriander Powder
1/4 Tsp Chilly Powder
1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
1/3 Cup Fresh Grated Coconut
Salt as per taste
For the seasoning:
2 Dried Red Chilies
1 Tsp Cumin
1/4 Tsp Mustard Seeds
1 Tsp Split Black Gram
2 Sprigs Curry leafs
1/4 Tsp Asafoetida
2 Tbsp Oil or Ghee
- Wash the dhal twice or thrice add to a pressure cooker add 1/4 tsp turmeric and 3 cups water and pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles until well done.
- Reserve the cooked dhal water to cook the vegetable.
- In a heavy bottom pot or wok add the cabbage, onion, curryleafs and chillies.
- Add the chilly powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder to the cabbage. add salt as per taste
- Add the dhal water and extra water to cook the vegetable cover and place the vegetable on medium flame allow the vegetable to cook till well done.
- In 10 to 15 minutes the vegetable should be done add the cooked dhal coconut and water if needed add salt if needed bring to a boil and remove from flame.
- Heat a fry pan add oil or ghee add all the ingredients shown in the seasoning fry a bit add to the kootu and serve hot with steamed rice...Enjoy...:)
Demo video in English..:)
Before chopping the cabbage make sure to rinse twice in salt water this will eliminate all the pesticides eat cabbage atleast twice or thrice in a week its packed with Vitamin C prepare cabbage wraps its really healthy and good for health.