Kathirikai Karuvadu Varuval (Brinjal Dry Shrimp Fry Side Dish for Southindian Meals)
One of my original recipe experiments again turned out awesome...
Please subscribe to me on YouTube for more upcoming video thankyou...:)
200 Grams Brinjal(cubed)
4 Green Chilies (finely chopped)
1 Medium Onion(roughly chopped)
3 Tbsp Oil
1 Tbsp Turmeric
Salt as per taste
1 Tsp Mustard Seeds
1/2 Tsp Cumin Seeds
1/2 Tsp Gram Dhal
A pinch Asafoetida
2 Tbsp Split Chickpeas
15 Whole Dry Red Chilly
2 Tbsp Pepper Corns
Fist Full Garlic Pods
Fist Full Curry Leaves
1 Tsp Asafoetida
1 Cup Dry Shrimp
- Dry roast all the ingredients given in the masala list one by one on a medium flame once dry roasted place on a plate and allow to air dry.
- Add the ingredients to a mixer jar and blend to a fine powder.
- This shrimp powder can be stored in a air tight container in the freezer for months and can be used for many recipes i will post a few authentic tamil cuisine which is totally forgotten in this mordern era...
- Heat oil in a wok temper with mustard allow to splutter then add cumin and gramdhal allow to splutter a bit a asafoetida and fry a bit add curry leaves onion and chilies fry till onion turns light pink in color.
- Add the chopped brinjal turmeric and salt fry a bit add 1/2 cup of water cover and allow to cook till the vegetable is almost done.
- Add 3 to 4 tbsp of the shrimp powder and fry till oil separates from vegetable and the brinjal should turn light brown in color give it a good stir and serve hot with rice and rasam...Enjoy...:)