IDLY and DOSA Batter
This was the most requested recipe from all my viewers on youtube and facebook...this recipe is simple as it can get no fuss recipe i will be uploading variations on dosa and idly soon...
As requested the recipe uploaded recipe demo video...:)
Split Black Gram (Urad dal) -1 Cup
Flatten Rice Flakes (Paper Avalakki or Poha) 2 Fist Fulls
Fenugreek Seeds-2 Sp
Cooking Soda-1/4 Sp
Salt Fist Full
- Wash rice thrice and soak in water for 6 hours
- Wash urad dal and soak in water for 6 hours
- Wash Fenugreek and soak in water for 4 hours after soaking for 4 hours drain the water. place one cup of water to boil in a pot add the fenugreek in boiling water and cook till it doubles in size drain water and reserve.
- Wash the rice flakes twice drain a reserve. this step should be done just before grinding the batter.
- Mom has been using ultra grinder for almost 10 years now to grind the batter mixer grinder can also be used.
- Drain water from the soaking urad dal and rice reserve.
- First grind the cooked fenugreek and rice flakes to mushy consistency add water if needed.
- After grinding the rice flakes and fenugreek add urad dal and grind to soft batter water can be sprinkled to grind to a smooth consistency to double check if the urad dal has ground to a smooth paste add a drop of batter to a bowl of water the batter should retain consistency and float on the water.
- Remove the ground dal batter into a large bowl. add the soaked rice and grind to a smooth paste water can be added to grind into a smooth paste.
- Once the rice is ground to a smooth batter mix both the batter till well combined.
we prepare this batter in bulk and store in the fridge when needed we reserve some batter in a large bowl and allow to ferment over night and use the next day. this measure of batter will serve 3 sets of idly and 2 sets of dosa over a period of 1 week...
- Reserve some batter in a large bowl sprinkle on salt and allow to ferment over night.
- Once batter has fermented add a pinch of cooking soda 2 to 3 tbsp oil sprinkle some water and mix the batter till well combined.