Spicy South Indian Buttermilk Curry/Mor Vadai Kuzhambu
Recipe Demo Video Buttermilk Curry...
750 ML Curds
2 Tbsp Channa dal/Split Chickpeas
1 Tbsp Rice
6 Green Chillies
3 Inch Pieces Fresh Coconut
1 Inch Ginger
1+1 Tbsp Cumin
1/2 Tsp Mustard seeds
1/2 Tsp Black Gram Dal
2 Dried Red Chilly
1/4 + 1/4 Tsp Asafoetida
1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
3 Sprigs Curry Leaves
Salt as per taste
Oil for tempering
- Wash and soak gramdal and rice in water for 1 hours.
- Pour the yogurt/curds in to a heavy bottom pot add turmeric 1/4 Tsp asafotida 1 sprig curry leaves and salt whisk and reserve.
- In a mixer jar add chillies ginger coconut 1 tbsp cumin soaked rice and gramdal add little water and grind to a smooth paste.
- Transfer the masala paste to the yogurt mixture add 1 cup of water and 1 cup milk whisk thoroughly.
- Place the pot on medium flame keep whisking and bring to a boil once the yogurt mixture froths and boils remove from flame.
- Heat a fry pan with 2 Tbsp oil add mustard seeds black gram dal cumin and asafoetida once mustards and cumin splutters add red chilly and curry leaves fry a bit and add to curry...you can serve curry as it is or add vadas to it...
- Take prepared vadas soak in luke warm water a bit press the excess water out then add to the curry do not stir fast the vadas will break serve right away with hot rice...Enjoy...:)
- Always check if yogurt is sour if we boil it will get even more sour its always best to add a cup of milk and whisk the yogurt before placing on flame.